Influenza B: symptoms, treatment, features, prevention
Influenza is an acute viral disease that affects millions of people every year.Influenza causes three types of viruses - A, B, C. Influenza A occurs most often, but one can not underestimate the influenza B. . In the prognosis of the circulation and relevance of influenza viruses for every epidemic season compiled by WHO, type B viruses are almost always present. The forthcoming 2017-2018 season has not become an exception. Two strains of the influenza A virus and one strain B.may cause an epidemic outbreak. Contents: Symptoms of influenza B Features of influenza B Influenza B treatment Influenza B prevention
The disease is acute.It all starts with a rise in body temperature( up to 38 and even 39 degrees).In addition to fever, patients can be bothered:
- marked weakness, weakness, malaise;
- pain in the muscles, bones, joints;
- redness of the eyes, discomfort in the eyeballs;
- sensation of dryness and burning in the nose and throat.
After 1-2 days, the indicated manifestations of the disease are added:
- runny nose;
- dry, debilitating cough( may be barking);
- sore throat.
Influenza B lasts an average of 5-7 days. If the patient's immunity is weakened or if he ignores the doctor's recommendations( self-medication, goes to the street and work temperature, etc.) complications may develop( they are presented according to the frequency of occurrence - from the most frequent to the rarest):
- Sinusitis is an inflammation of the paranasal sinuses.Can be catarrhal and purulent.Signs of the development of this complication are: increased headache, a re-rise in body temperature, an increase in the number and change in the nature of discharge from the nose.
- Pneumonia .With pneumonia, patients notice a significant deterioration in well-being and the appearance of shortness of breath.
- Acute otitis media is an ear inflammation.To suspect this complication it is possible on zalozhennosti and a strong pain in an ear.
- Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle, which is manifested by a violation of the heart rhythm and discomfort in the heart area.
Features of the
The clinical picture of influenza B is very similar to influenza A. However, it can highlight some features( comparison with influenza A):
- The figures to which the patient's body temperature rises,But in general the fever lasts longer.
- Patients suffer more often from pain in the head, muscles and joints.
- Cough, runny nose, sore throat are short.
- Complications develop less often.Of course, according to these features, the doctor can not accurately determine that the patient has exactly the Flu B. Asd86ASD Moreover, the precise diagnosis of "Flu" can only be made based on the results of virological studies.Therefore, during the epidemic, any catarrhal disease should be considered as a flu and be sure to seek medical help and not in any case engage in self-medication .
Treatment of influenza B
The tactics for treating influenza B include:
- The basic therapy , which reduces the symptoms of the disease and the risk of complications - bed rest, plentiful drink, light diet, antipyretic drugs, multivitamin complexes, vasoconstrictiveDrops for the nose, expectorants, preparations for pain in the throat of local action, etc.
- Specific therapy - the appointment of antiviral drugs, interferons and inducers( stimulants of synthesis) of interferons.
In most cases, the patient suffices basic therapy( many studies confirm that the use of antiviral drugs and interferon does not significantly affect the overall duration of the flu). If the disease is severe, if the patient is weakened or if he has a risk of developing complications, the use of specific therapy is advisable.The most effective drug for this ailment is oseltamivir, but remantadine, which is often treated with influenza A, is ineffective.This, incidentally, is another distinguishing feature of the influenza B.
Patients with mild to moderate influenza B can be treated at home.An obligatory condition for such treatment is the call of the therapist and the implementation of his recommendations.
Prevention of influenza B
There are several ways to protect against influenza B. The most effective of these is vaccination. It must be done before the epidemic rise in the incidence rate - until December.But since influenza vaccines in medical institutions do not appear until September-October, the time interval for vaccinations is reduced to 2 months - October-November.It is also worth noting that in order to obtain a truly effective protection against influenza B, it is necessary to be vaccinated every year.
In addition to vaccination, there are other measures to prevent influenza B. All of them are not specific, since they imply a special behavior model that prevents various respiratory viral diseases. Such preventive measures include:
- Minimizing visits to public places.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Frequent hand washing.On the road and in public places it is advisable to have wet wipes or a special disinfectant spray, since the opportunity to wash your hands may not always be.
- Daily ventilation of premises.
- Regular wet cleaning.
In addition, it is important to increase the body's natural resistance to infections. For this, first of all, it is necessary to become an adherent of a healthy lifestyle.Cigarettes, alcohol, drugs - all this kills our immunity.Another important link in maintaining health is a balanced diet.Do not forget about sleep and rest.Exhausted work and stress the body simply can not be healthy and strong.
Finally, it is worth mentioning one more preventive measure - moisturizing the mucous membranes. If the mucous membranes are over-dried, secretory immunoglobulins disappear from their surface, which are part of the local respiratory tract immunity.Therefore it is extremely important in winter to use special sprays for the nose with sea water or just to wash the nose with a solution of salt.The most effective this procedure is considered before going out.Although after visiting public places to moisten and clean the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract also does not hurt.
Zubkova Olga Sergeevna, medical reviewer, epidemiologist