Excommunication from breastfeeding: advice to moms
How many of your friends are young mothers who fed or breastfeed their baby when he was already a year old?I think not.Unfortunately, our society does not always adhere to really worthy traditions, one of which is long breastfeeding( GV) offspring.Often, not according to their convictions, but under the influence of public opinion( friends, neighbors, grandmothers, grandfathers and even doctors), breastfeeding successfully, the mother stops natural feeding.Table of contents: What gives prolonged breastfeeding Breastfeeding Timing How and when to finish lactation Breastfeeding in different age periods Herbs and preparations for cessation of lactation
WHAT GIVES LONG-TERM BREASTFEEDING
Long-term GB is a relative term.The World Health Organization advises mothers not to wean the child up to two years.American pediatricians believe that it is enough to feed the baby with breast milk only for up to a year.Specialists of the World Dairy League do not name specific deadlines, but adhere to the following position: for as long as you want and it turns out, and even up to 6-7 years.
Long-term breastfeeding for a child is:
- is a free and unique protein, vitamin, enzyme, fat and micronutrient food;
- solid protection against allergies;
- reliable armor against pathogenic microorganisms that cause infectious diseases;
- the correct formation of the facial skull and the successful development of speech in the future;
- harmonious physical and normal neuropsychic development;
- close psycho-emotional connection with the mother, persisting for life.
Prolonged breastfeeding for the mother is:
- successful recovery of the body after pregnancy and childbirth;
- "time-out" for the reproductive system;
- breast cancer prevention;
- emotional and mental health;
- prevention of osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, depression;
- strengthening of immunity and increase of stress resistance;
- is a return of former attractiveness.
TIME OF BREASTFEEDING: AS DISSIPATING THE NATURE
Breastfeeding is a physiological process, provided by nature, not dependent on anyone's desires and efforts.Therefore, the cessation of lactation and HS should also occur naturally, and not by someone's order.
There are physiological criteria for the , by which it can be understood that the GW period has come to its logical conclusion:
- , after three years of life, the formation and maturation of the nervous system ends.Therefore, the need for breast milk, as in a powerful stimulator of its development, disappears.The child has an unconditioned sucking reflex that has taken place since birth.
If the kid is in a favorable social environment, his mother is less interested in him.He eagerly communicates with his peers and adults around him, and remembers about his mother occasionally at night;
- approximately in 2,5 years there is an involution of a lactemia - returning to an initial status of mammary glands.This is due to the more rare application of the baby to the chest, which is quite natural.The mammary glands no longer fill with milk as before, even if the break between applying to the breast is a day or more.
At this time, the composition of milk changes( approaching the composition of the colostrum) - the content of immunoglobulins and biological active substances increases in it.GV during this period is a kind of "immunization" for the baby.Passive immunity, obtained from breastfeeding for 3-4 years of life, later "protects" the child's health, since his immune system is still immature.
Completely involution is completed approximately to 40 days after the last application of the baby to the breast: the milk no longer flows spontaneously, but appears when pressing on the areola.During these 40 days, lactation can be safely resumed if the baby requires it.After 40 days, it is very difficult to restore milk production.
Note: is a natural end of lactation and weaning is two different concepts, two different processes.
The natural completion of lactation is the cessation of HS in the background of the extinction of the suckling and lactation involution reflex.
Weaning is always a violent process, triggered in the absence of physiological criteria for mother and child readiness for completing HS.
AS AND WHEN YOU CAN COMPLETE THE NATURAL VALUE
When a baby breastfeeding is 2.5 years old, he is absolutely healthy and falls asleep without a mom for the night, lactation can be completed naturally.Do it better not in the summer months.If the baby is older than three years, the time of the year does not matter, since he received a powerful "immunization" from his mother and will be able to withstand all kinds of misfortunes.
Prepare for the termination of the HS in less than two years.Rare mom can simply take and replace the attachment to the chest before going to bed to read the book to the baby, stroking it on the back or belly, telling a fairy tale.If this method does not work, begin to leave the house more often in the afternoon, so that the child is accustomed to fall asleep without a mother.
During wakefulness of the kid more walk, acquaint him with his peers, play with him in outdoor games.Limit the baby access to your breasts.Agree with him that you will now give him "titus" only at home, but not in the street or in the transport at his first request.And at home choose a strictly defined place( armchair, sofa) and only there put the baby to the chest, explaining in advance that now it will always be so.
The second stage - teach your child to fall asleep at night with someone from family members, but not with his mother.Over time, he will stop applying to the breast at night.
Important: in your actions be persistent, patient and consistent, because the child is unlikely to voluntarily part with your favorite wet-nurse.
Self-emptying is the completion of the HS on the initiative of a child aged 3-4 years.It is due to the fact that the baby spends less time with his mother, and the social environment of his stay is constantly expanding.In the life of the child, new people and activities appear.On frequent attachments to the breast there is no time, and he gradually weaned to suck his breast.At this age the baby's gastrointestinal tract is already fully adapted to digesting a variety of foods, and the need for the intake of enzymes from the mother's milk disappears by itself.
Eradication of a child from different age groups
A child younger than 6 months
In the first half of the life of a toddler, a woman is obliged to feed it with breast milk.There is no question of any causeless cessation of GV at this age.But sometimes it happens that my mother needs to go to the hospital or leave urgently.The hospital is not discussed.As for the trip, then before we wean the baby, weigh all the pros and cons.Look for an opportunity to refuse a trip, move it or, which is extremely undesirable, take the child with you.
If the problem is not solved, tune in to maintain lactation and resume HB on arrival or after discharge from the hospital.To do this, all the time that you are away from the baby, be sure to express milk every three hours for 10-15 minutes from each breast, making an overnight break.Supporting lactation in this way, you can, after returning to the child, continue to successfully feed it with your milk.
Child aged 6 months to 1.5 years
For an infant at this age, any separation from the mother is a strong emotional experience.Therefore, breastfeed and try under no circumstances to stay for a long time.Otherwise prepare the child for the disappearance: more often leave the kid with that person( the grandmother, the daddy, the nurse) which will look after it in your absence.
And do not forget to decant milk so that, after returning, continue breastfeeding.
The child is over 1.5 years old
At this age the child already eats a good variety of food, so without mother's milk, it will not be lost.But psychoemotional stress can hardly be avoided, and the baby needs to be prepared in advance for parting.
About two weeks before departure, start playing with him in the game, in which mom leaves, he misses, and my mother soon returns.Give him a new soft toy with the explanation that this is a new, but very reliable friend, who will always be next to the baby until mom is out.
Do not forget that the grandmother or nanny with whom your child is staying should also participate in these serious preparatory games and even more actively than you.
In the second year of breastfeeding, problems with preserving lactation are much less.You have to express milk, but only when the chest is full and becomes painful.Emptying the breast completely does not follow.You need to express exactly as much milk as you need to improve your health.When you return to the baby and reattach it to your chest, the lactation will be restored.If a two-year-old does not want to suckle, you can not force him to do it.
How to wean the baby if the mother needs to go to work
Not every born woman has the opportunity to sit on a childcare leave for up to 3 years.Due to certain circumstances, even a breast-feeding mother sometimes has to work full-time.
Important: If you feed your baby with breast milk, but life has developed so that you have to go to work, try to do it when the child turns six, and preferably nine months.
Do not put an equal sign between going to work and stopping breastfeeding.If you have a desire to feed your baby with your milk, and you are confident that this will happen, you will be able to maintain a full lactation.And no work will not interfere.But to excommunication of the baby from the breast for almost the whole day must be properly prepared.Your main goal is to teach the baby to eat and sleep without a mom.
Advice on how to excommunicate a child for a long time:
- preparation begin at least two months before going to work;
- prepare a sufficient number of plastic containers in which you will store expressed milk in the refrigerator;
- determine which of the adults( family member, nanny) will take care of the baby in your absence.During the two preparatory months, this person should already be constantly beside you and with the child;
- learn how to store in the refrigerator or in the freezer correctly expressed milk and properly defrost it.Teach this nanny;
- leave home for 2.5-3 hours during the first two weeks of training at least three times a week.But be sure to go back to the time of feeding and putting the baby to bed and do it yourself.Begin to create in the refrigerator a stock of expressed milk for the following stages of preparation;
- for 3-4 weeks increase the time of your absence to 3.5-4 hours and trust the nurse or grandmother to feed the baby in this time interval.But, after returning home, pack him to sleep yourself.Continue to replenish the "milk depot" in the refrigerator;
- If everything goes smoothly, leave your home for 5-6 weeks so that the baby feeds and put the nanny to bed;
Note: expressed milk should not be given from a bottle with a pacifier, but from a spoon, from a cup or from a disposable syringe, so that the child does not turn away from the chest.
- if the child reacts normally to your absences, leave the house for 6 or more hours at the 7-8 week of preparation;
Important: go from one preparatory stage to another only if the baby painlessly suffers a change in life.If he is still a bit naughty, stay at this stage, do not rush the .
- be sure to inform your employer that you are breastfeeding your baby.Discuss with him how the privilege granted to you by law will be realized( half-hour breaks for feeding or pumping or a shorter working day);
- being at work, express milk every 3-3.5 hours;
- , when you come home, put the baby to your chest as often as possible and do not refuse to feed him at night.
If you do not intend to continue breastfeeding your child, or there are absolute contraindications for this, do not bandage your breasts.The pressure bandage can provoke milk stagnation in the mammary glands and the development of mastitis.Stop lactation can be in gentle ways, namely: to express milk from a full chest is not completely, but to a sense of relief, and whenever possible rarely and less often put the baby to the chest.
HERBS AND PREPARATIONS FOR TERMINATION OF LACTATION: TO ACCEPT OR NOT
If you are excommunicating your child from HS, do not indulge in self-activity at all - do not buy pills to stop lactation( dostinex, parlodel, bromocriptine) in order to speed up the process.These are hormonal preparations, for the purpose of which strict indications are determined.Only a qualified gynecologist endocrinologist, after a careful analysis of your hormonal status, has the right to decide whether it is expedient to prescribe, for example, dopinex tablets for stopping lactation.
Preparations are used to stop lactation, as a rule, in those cases when a high content of prolactin is detected in the blood for a long time.Even the "most innocuous", as many believe it is, doctors prescribe in exceptional cases to stop lactation.All these drugs give many side effects, such as: cardiac arrhythmia, pressure reduction, dizziness, headaches and fainting, depression and drowsiness, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Herbs, which uses traditional medicine, are much safer than tablets to stop lactation.But even their use should be carefully, after consulting with a doctor.First, for some diseases, phytotherapy can be contraindicated.Secondly, plants, like medicines, can cause allergies.
Mint and sage for stopping lactation are considered the safest.They have a mild soothing effect and inhibit the formation of milk in a nursing woman.The effective use of sage to stop lactation is understandable.In this herb contains substances that reduce the level of prolactin in the blood and, accordingly, reduce lactation.Sage for the cessation of lactation can be used in the form of infusion, decoction, ready sage oil.You should know that the products containing sage are contraindicated in epilepsy, inflammatory processes in the kidneys, pregnancy.
Zaluzhanskaya Elena Aleksandrovna, pediatrician