Scorzonera - benefit, composition, possible harm
Scorzonera is a root vegetable that is widely cultivated in different countries, although it is home to southern Europe, South-West Asia.It also grows wild in Georgia and Azerbaijan on stony and steppe territories.According to the taste of scorzonera, it has a special juiciness of pulp, something similar to cauliflower and asparagus.It is these vegetables that it is able to replace in winter, since it is more available in cold weather.
Interesting! Scorzonera is called in different ways among peoples of different countries: sweet root, sparrows Spanish, black carrots, black root.Cultivate it began in the 16th century.In Italy, France, the Netherlands and Belgium. Sweet root was considered a delicacy and was necessarily served to the king's table under the reign of Alexander the Great.
The biochemical composition of this root vegetable includes many health-giving substances :
- pectin elements;
- vitamins - E, PP, C, B1 and B2;
- minerals - potassium, iron, phosphorus, calcium, zinc, copper, manganese;
- amino acids and useful carbohydrates - inulin, asparagine, levulin.
Caloric content of the product is only 17 units per 100 grams.
Use of the product
Root crop is widely used not only in cooking, but also in folk medicine.Scorzoneru is recommended by nutritionists for the development of a curative menu or diet in the recovery period after various serious diseases. The following useful scorzoners can be distinguished:
- normalization of blood glucose level, which is a very valuable quality for patients with diabetes mellitus;
- strengthening of the heart muscle;
- analgesic effect;
- restoration of the digestive system.
Interesting! Before cultivation of this root crop as a food plant, it was used as an antidote for viper bites.
Also scorzoner will be useful :
- for obesity and metabolic disorders;
- for beriberi and anemia;
- in the development of rheumatism, polyarthritis, atherosclerosis;
- for gout and hypertension;
- for hepatic insufficiency.
Important! No contraindications to the use of scorzoners are available.The only restriction can be only individual intolerance, which occurs very rarely.
Important! For simplification of toxicosis of pregnant women, a crushed raw root crop is used.A teaspoon of Scorzoners is mixed with a pinch of tea leaves and poured over with boiling water.Insist and use as a tea.
In its raw form, the vegetable is not particularly attractive - it tastes like a cabbage stump to taste.To improve the taste is capable of pre-soaking in salt water, after which the root can be used to prepare salads in finely grated form.They will perfectly match: carrots, lemon juice, vegetable oil.
Important! When cleaning root crops, it is advisable to wear gloves, as the juice stains everything in a saturated and fairly persistent red color.
Also the scorzoner is used in cooking in the following form:
- in boiled, stewed, fried;
- as a component of second dishes, soups, vinaigrettes;
- for conservation - the nutritional properties of the vegetable with such a preparation do not decrease at all;
- in the form of an additional component when preparing for the winter cucumbers - leaves scorzoners give a special "crunchy" effect;
- as a component of sauces to fish, meat dishes, salads, cold appetizers.