Bags under the eyes
Bags under the eyes can be just a cosmetic defect.Unpleasant, but not deadly and not even dangerous.The appearance of them in a perfectly healthy person most often does not pose any threat to health.However, sometimes they serve as a kind of "alarm button", which should make a person contact a doctor and understand the reasons for this condition.There are many diseases in which bags under the eyes appear and some of them are extremely serious.But let's start with a simple one.Table of contents: Bags under the eyes of healthy people Renal diseases as a possible cause of bags under the eyes Heart diseases as a possible cause of bags under the eyes Bags under the eyes with hypothyroidism Allergy leading to edema under the eyes Infectious diseases Bags under the eyes of children How to clean bagsUnder the eyes?Treatment of edema
Bags under the eyes of healthy people
In healthy people this symptom can arise due to inaccuracies in the diet:
- Excess intake of table salt in its pure form and as a component of various products - pickles, smoked products.This increases thirst - a protective mechanism to reduce the concentration of sodium in the blood and intercellular fluid.Increased water intake simultaneously with relative deficiency of kidney function leads to its binding in the subcutaneous tissue, which is why there are appearing as bags edema on the face.This is especially evident when eating salty foods at night.
- Sleep disorders can contribute to the puffiness of the eyelids, provided that during a day a person sleeps less than 8 hours( according to some information - less than 6 hours).
- Alcohol abuse contributes to water retention.Alcohol also has the ability to bind water, which as a result causes the appearance of bags under the eyes and the puffiness of the face as a whole.
- Premenstrual enhancement of estrogen production in women increases the binding of fluid to cells and the intercellular environment.The result may also be the temporary appearance of bags.
- Negative influence on the skin of ultraviolet rays during long stay in the open sun or in the solarium.At the same time, the skin loses its elasticity and elasticity.To protect against these factors, it begins to accumulate additional moisture in it and this also helps to increase bags under the eyes.
- Genetic predisposition may also be the cause of this symptom.At the same time, threats to health are not available, and the bags themselves represent an unpleasant, but quite harmless, cosmetic defect.
- Age-related skin changes.At the same time, the elasticity of the skin decreases, resulting in bags.This is the most common cause of this condition.
Renal diseases as a possible cause of bags under the eyes
Among all kidney diseases, only chronic renal failure results in the appearance of puffiness around the eyes.This is a condition in which the kidneys lose the ability to maintain the water-salt balance.As a result, despite the fact that the amount of urine released increases, fluid retention in the body occurs.This is due to the fact that the kidneys stop the process of transferring excess salts from the blood into the urine.
Please note: with chronic renal failure, edema appears only in the last stage of the disease - terminal.Until then, the symptoms of pathology can not be determined without the use of special diagnostic methods.
All other kidney diseases do not affect their filtration capacity enough to cause the appearance of edema.
Heart diseases as a possible cause of bags under the eyes
The second category of diseases that contribute to the appearance of this symptom is cardiac pathology, and not all of them.Only chronic heart failure manifests itself by edema, usually in the region of the legs, but in neglected cases and elsewhere.
The main cause here is the inability of the heart to pump blood through the vessels at the required rate.Because of stagnation, the liquid part leaves the bloodstream and exits into surrounding tissues.As a result, the swelling of the legs first arises, which, over time and with the weakening of the functions of the heart, rises ever higher until it reaches the face.In this case, swelling under the eyes have a bluish tinge.
Along with this symptom, there are other signs of the disease:
- feeling of heart failure is a sign of arrhythmia;
- dyspnea is an indicator of poor blood circulation in the pulmonary vascular system;
- pain in the region of the heart - a sign of impaired blood flow to the heart muscle.
Bags under the eyes for hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism is a hormonal disease in which the thyroid gland loses its ability to produce its hormones.Lack of thyroxin and triiodothyronine leads to the appearance of a whole complex of symptoms.Before the appearance of mucous edema - myxedema - it comes very rarely, since this symptom occurs only in seriously neglected cases.
Even before the onset of myxedema, patients complain about:
- is a fast enough set of body weight that occurs even with strong restrictions in nutrition;
- decreased physical and mental activity, weakness, fatigue, a constant desire to sleep;
- changes in the digestive tract, most often manifested by constipation;
- reduction of pulse;
- deterioration of hair and nails - loss of the first and fragility of the latter.
The rarity of the appearance of "hypothyroid" swelling due to the fact that patients with this disease go to the doctor long before the occurrence of serious violations.
Allergy leading to edema under the eyes
Allergy is an inadequate response of the human body's immune system to getting into it certain substances - allergens.If the immunity in the norm is activated exactly within the limits that are necessary for the destruction of a foreign substance, then in case of an allergy to eliminate the "offender" all possible resources are included.
There are several types of allergic reaction, of which only two are lead to swelling under the eyes - Quincke's edema and hay fever, or pollinosis.
In the case of Quinck's swelling, the body's response is characterized by a rapidly increasing swelling of the soft tissues mainly in the face and neck area.In this case, swelling captures not only the surface tissues, but can also spread to the internal structures of the neck.
With this form of allergy, the face becomes puffy, the eyes turn into slits, the lips swell, sometimes to a gigantic size, the tongue can grow, and so much that it stops being placed in the oral cavity.When spreading the edema to the upper respiratory tract, the patient may die if he does not receive intensive medical care.
Pollinosis is an allergic reaction to pollen from plants.It manifests itself suddenly with a runny nose, tearing, throat and coughing, and conjunctivitis.It is the inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eyes that leads to the appearance of an edema underneath, which some call sacks.
This disease is characterized by a clear seasonality.It appears exactly at the time when plants bloom, whose pollen causes allergies.For the rest of the year, a person can feel completely healthy, although quite often there is also a cross-allergy to several plants at once.
Among diseases caused by an infectious agent, respiratory conjunctivitis, viral infections and sinusitis lead to the appearance of edema of the eyelids.
Conjunctivitis may be caused by the effects of viruses or bacteria on the mucous membrane of the eye, but may also occur as a result of allergies. Symptoms of this disease:
- Eyes redness.This is due to the expansion of capillaries of the mucous membrane under the action of inflammatory mediators.
- Puffiness of the eyelids, also associated with an inflammatory reaction.
- Sensation of "sand in the eyes".So a person feels pain, inevitable in any inflammation.
- Lacrimation is a protective measure by which the body tries to get rid of microbes and products of their vital functions.
In the bacterial nature of the disease, the appearance of suppuration, the gluing of the eyelashes in the morning, the formation of purulent crusts on them.
This same disease can be a complication of respiratory viral infections. Symptoms are the same, but there are signs of a major pathology:
- elevated temperature;
- weakness, malaise, fatigue, decreased performance;
- occasionally - nausea, vomiting;
- possible cough, runny nose, sneezing.
Among the sinusitis most often accompanied by the appearance of bags under the eyes of sinusitis.Anatomically the maxillary sinuses are very close to the organ of vision, so the inflammation from them can pass to the facial tissues, including the eyelids.Very often, with sinusitis, the bags appear only under one eye.This is due to the fact that the disease does not always hit both sinuses simultaneously.
In parallel with this symptom( not very frequent) in sinusitis, there are:
- pain in the region of the wings of the nose - raspirayuschaya, sometimes stitching;
- high temperature;
- severe headaches, often with only one side of the head;
- runny nose with thick secretions, sometimes purulent;
- feeling of raspiraniya in the area of the affected sinus;
- nojushchaja a pain in a teeth of the top jaw on the party or side of an inflammation.
Bags under the eyes of children
Often young mothers underestimate this symptom or, on the contrary, overestimate its value. Most often, however, the woman is inclined towards the latter, and therefore she should know that bags under the eyes of the baby may appear:
- with prolonged crying;
- when sleeping in such a position, when the child's head is below the body level;
- with excessive consumption of water and salty foods.
In these cases, edema under the eyes of children will disappear after the termination of the adverse factor.
Bags under the eyes of children can appear even when they get sick.If within a few hours this symptom does not disappear, you should immediately contact a pediatrician who can identify the cause of its occurrence and prescribe a treatment.
How to remove bags under the eyes?Treatment of edema
Note: try not to remove bags under the eyes at home, using improvised means( teabags, applying cold spoons or ice packs to swollen eyelids, etc.) is not worth it.Most cases of this unpleasant phenomenon are associated with a disease. And if it happened to get sick, the specialist should be treated:
- of the otolaryngologist;
- endocrinologist, etc.
Only in situations where bags under the eyes appear due to inaccuracies in the diet, it is not necessary to run to the doctor.It's enough just to give up alcohol, do not drink too much water and do not eat too much salt, limit sun exposure, etc.
Volkov Gennady Gennadievich, medical columnist, ambulance doctor.