Fatty hernia of the eyelids: causes of appearance and ways of removal
Puffiness and the appearance of "bags" under the eyes can say not only about fatigue, but also about the presence of fatty hernia of the eyelids.Pathology develops due to stretching of the skin, due to constant blinking, and is corrected by a plastic surgeon.Meanwhile, it is necessary to visit the ophthalmologist beforehand to make sure there is a problem.Table of contents: General information Reasons Types and stages How to independently check if there is a hernia in the eyelid area Diagnosis Removal of a hernia of the eyelids, blepharoplasty Contraindications to surgery Rehabilitation period, result, consequences Prevention
Under the fatty hernia of the eyelids means ptosis(From the Greek ptosis, which translates as "fall") of tissues that form the upper and lower eyelid.It appears as a result of bulging out the intraorbital fat and indicates a weak muscular skeleton, a decrease in the elasticity of the skin.
Please note! The mechanism of defect development is simple: because of the stretching of the skin in the lower and upper eyelid, voids are formed, which are subsequently filled with fat tissue.Over time, it accumulates, which entails a stagnation of lymph in the area of the orbit and the appearance of a hernia.
At best, the fatty hernia spoils the appearance of the person, making his look heavy, and the facial expression gloomy, besides, it ages him.In the worst - due to the development of the defect, the visual function is disturbed. Plastic surgeons distinguish the defect of the upper eyelids, which is manifested by their severity, and the lower ones.In fact, these are "bags" under the eyes, which do not pass even after a long sleep.
Similar hernias are a consequence of the natural processes that the body undergoes with age.Given that his aging begins at age 25, the first signs of pathology can occur after 5 to 10 years, along with mimic wrinkles, eyebrows lowering, the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
Important! In young people, the length of the eye gap varies between 2.8 and 3.2 cm, and the width is 1.0-1.3 cm. At the same time, the outer part of the eyelid protrudes over the inner part no more than 0.2-0, 4 cm. As a result of loss of skin elasticity, it falls, reducing the length of the eye gap and emphasizing the edges of the orbit.Then the hernia begins to form.
The presence of a defect gives not only a look, but also sadness, fatigue on the face.Women are trying to hide them under concealers, proofreaders, sunglasses, but all these tools only temporarily mask the pathology.It is only plastic surgery that allows us to get rid of it forever.
The main reason for the appearance of fatty hernia of the century is the age-related changes.Multiple blinking exacerbates the situation, as a result of which the circular muscle with its ligamentous apparatus loses its tone, and the skin stretches and falls. This phenomenon is most often observed in people after 35 years of age.
- features of face structure, genetics;
- chronic lack of sleep;
- a long time at the computer;
- malnutrition and bad habits - smoking, alcohol abuse;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system, for example, disturbance of microcirculation and lymphostasis;
- malfunctioning of the urinary system, kidney disease;
- stress, overwork;
- detrimental effects of ultraviolet rays;
- hormonal imbalance;
- abuse of decorative cosmetics;
- pathology of the visual system.
Important! In the eye area there are few sebaceous glands, so the skin here is constantly dry.A delay in the appearance of a defect can be correct care, a regular visit to a cosmetologist.First of all, plastic surgeons release fatty hernias:
- of the lower eyelid - they are manifested by protrusion in the inner corner of the eye, overhanging;
- of the upper eyelid - characterized by the appearance of swelling, usually between the cheek and the ciliary edge, and outwardly resemble bags.
The severity of the pathology distinguishes fatty hernia:
- I degree, which is manifested by the lowering of the skin of the lower eyelids( actually it looks like "bags" under the eyes).
- II degree - in this case, ptosis spreads to the upper eyelid, while the circular muscle loses its tone.Meanwhile, the area where the eyelid ends and the cheek begins, the delineation of the soft tissues is still clearly delineated or seen.
- III degree - the changes concern the whole zone around the eyelids, in this case the eyebrows drop, and along with them cheeks, cheekbones, nasolabial folds appear.
- IV degree - changes in the zone bordering the eyelid are clearly visible to the naked eye and formation of zygomatic sacs, or hernias( accumulation of fatty tissue between the cheekbone and lower eyelid), scleral outcrop, lowering of the outer corner of the eyes, pronounced appearance of nasolacrimal fissures.
Doctors do not advise to ignore the problem, because the hernia of the eyelids is not only an aesthetic defect.When the situation worsens, and fat accumulation increases, constant lacrimation appears, the field of vision narrows, and disturbances in the visual system develop.
How to check for yourself if there is a hernia in the eyelid region
Severe, sullen, tired face does not always indicate a defect.Nature has a small stock of adipose tissue, which serves as a kind of barrier and protects the eyeball from damage.When the skin loses its elasticity and sags due to age-related changes, the fat deposits become more noticeable.
Make sure that the pathology began to develop in the area of the upper eyelid can be, slightly pressing your finger on the eyeball closed to them.Now it is enough to remove the finger and follow the area of the eyelids.If the skin is swollen, most likely, the problem already exists. Fat deposits in the lower eyelid zone, as a rule, do not require checks, since they represent well-marked "bags" under the eyes.
Please note! Sometimes swelling of the skin in the upper eyelid can be asymmetric.
For the accurate diagnosis, doctors use several methods:
- biomicroscopy - is carried out in a non-contact way and consists in a detailed study of the eye tissues through the use of a slit lamp;
- Eye of the eyeball is a safe and informative procedure that allows you to evaluate the work of muscles, vessels, the condition of surrounding tissues.
In case of detection of concomitant diseases, an ophthalmologist may recommend other methods of investigation.In view of the fact that the pathology develops as a result of disruption of the cardiovascular and urinary system, the patient can be assigned a consultation with a cardiologist or nephrologist.
Removal of the hernia of the eyelids, blepharoplasty
At home, women can make decoctions, masks, herbal infusions, such as parsley or sage.For their preparation, white clay, black tea, boiled potatoes or pumpkin are also used. Meanwhile, they can not give a visible result, since their action is aimed only at toning the skin.If you make such masks regularly from 25 years, you can delay the development of pathology, meanwhile, it will not be prevented.
Several procedures that prevent the appearance of a defect, offers cosmetology.It is about:
- Microcurrent therapy - it consists in the impact of weak electrical impulses on the skin;
- thermolifting - it assumes a thermal effect on the skin, which provokes the activation of connective tissue cells and the synthesis of collagen and elastin;
- ultrasound lifting - it provides for heating the skin with the subsequent contraction of muscles and tightening the facial framework.
These procedures are aimed at skin rejuvenation, as a result of which it tightens, ceasing to hang over the eye area.
Along with them, cosmetologists can offer treadlifting mezzanines.This technique, which consists in setting up threads that simulate the contours of the face of .Their advantage is that they later resolve themselves.In passing, a specialist can eliminate wrinkles and pigment spots by using laser rejuvenation, fractional thermolysis, peeling, mesotherapy.
Please note! Cosmetology procedures can fundamentally solve the problem of the presence of hernias can not.They are considered by doctors only as effective means of prevention.
You can completely remove fat deposits by surgery.The choice of the procedure at this plastic surgeon does on its own taking into account some factors:
- the severity of the skin sagging;
- its state and depth of wrinkles;
- by tonus of cartilaginous tissue;
- location and amount of body fat;
- functionality of the circular muscle.
- conventional blepharoplasty;
- transconjunctival blepharoplasty.
With conventional blepharoplasty , the fat deposits can be completely eliminated or redistributed.The operation is performed both on the upper and lower eyelids.This cut along the natural fold( or along the line of growth of the eyelashes, if the operation is carried out in the lower eyelid, in rare cases - on the inner surface of the eyelids), through which the fat tissue is removed.If necessary, the sagging skin is excised.All manipulations take about 20 minutes, although time is determined by the severity of the pathology.
Important! As a rule, the doctor performs the procedure on the eyelids of both eyes at the same time.In parallel, the forehead, eyebrows, and nasolabial folds can be lifted.
At the end of the operation, seams are applied which can be removed after 3 days.On the place of the incision remains a scar, which usually disappears after 4 weeks.
Transconjunctival blepharoplasty eliminates the incision.The hernia is removed by pumping out fat deposits through the needle, which is possible only in the case of lesions of the lower eyelids.The procedure is performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia.
Contraindications for operation
Before the blepharoplasty, the patient undergoes a full examination.His blood is taken for analysis, ECG is prescribed, procedures are performed to assess the degree of skin elasticity, the position of the eyebrows.
Additionally, it is advised to consult with a plastic surgeon, a qualified oculist.Contraindications to the procedure are:
- diabetes mellitus;
- arterial hypertension;
- retinal detachment;
- dry eye syndrome;
- disease of the visual system.
Rehabilitation period, result, consequences
After operation for 10 - 14 days, the puffiness is preserved.Sometimes there is a cyanosis, which disappears after a week.After removing the joints, hygienic treatment of the eyes is recommended to avoid the appearance of crusts.
Please note! After carrying out blepharoplasty, you must give up physical activity for 3 weeks.In addition, within 2 weeks you can not use makeup, wear lenses.
The operation allows you to return the elasticity of the tissues, and the face youth.Proper skin care helps keep them for up to 7 to 10 years.
Rarely complications occur in patients, such as:
- impossibility of closing eyes;
- inversion of the century;
- diplopia - impaired vision, in which the eyes "double";
- pathological scars;
- Retrobulbar haematoma is a hemorrhage.
Prevent development of fatty hernia of the eyelids can a healthy lifestyle, in which a person watches food, observes drinking regimen, refuses bad habits of .Also helps regular care for the skin around the eyes after 25 years.At the same time, it is possible to make masks at home, visit a cosmetologist, perform massage of the problem area, special exercises that help to strengthen the circular eye muscle.
Fatty hernia of the eyelid - pathology, caused by the course of natural processes in the body.It is recommended that they be corrected under the supervision of an experienced specialist.This will achieve visible results and minimize the occurrence of unpleasant consequences.
Elena Sovinskaya, medical reviewer