Ingrown toenail: Treatment and prevention of onochryptosis
The ingrown nail in medicine is classified as on-cryptosis and indicates ingrowth of the nail plate into the lateral edge of the nail cutaneous roller.Most often, this is observed on the big toes.
Patients with a similar problem seek medical care at a time when the place of ingrowth of the nail has already become inflamed, reddened and, in some cases, festered.And it happens because immediately it is impossible to determine the ingrowth of the nail - the symptoms appear with some "delay".Symptoms of ingrown nail Treatment of ingrown nails with conservative methods
Causes of oncoprotein
Doctors will not be able to name one specific cause of ingrown nail, but some factors that can provoke this process are highlighted.
External causes of ingrown nail:
- Pedicure performed with violations of .This factor "works" in 95% of the cases, and the main mistakes in pedicure - cutting the nail corner, cleaning the free part of the nail plate with manicure scissors, leaving hangnails and sharp edges.To avoid mistakes, you need to remember the two main rules of pedicure - there should not be a rounded edge of the nail after the pedicure and too short a haircut can not be too short.
- Incorrectly matched footwear .It's about shoes with narrow socks, which is not matched in size.Just on the nail plate is a constant physical pressure, which provokes a change in the direction of growth of the nail.
Note: , many physicians claim that excessive nodal load can lead to ingrown nails, but this theory never received official confirmation.
Diseases that can lead to ingrown nails:
- Flat feet, valgus feet - the entire foot and in particular the toes are deformed, the second finger starts to press the second one, the nail grows not in the usual direction;
- fungal lesions of nail plates - diseases of fungal etiology lead to deformation, lamination of the nail plate;
- finger injury on the foot or frostbite;
- endocrine diseases - diabetes mellitus, obesity and some cardiovascular pathologies.All these diseases lead to a breakdown in nourishment of the nail;
- passed therapy in relation to oncological diseases - radiotherapy, chemotherapy drugs negatively affect the ability of tissues to regenerate;
- some skin diseases , which contribute to the deformation of nails - lichen, warts, psoriasis.
Symptoms of ingrown nail
In order to notice the problem in time and start solving it, you need to know the symptoms that will indicate the ingrowth of the nail. To the main and pronounced symptoms of ingrown nail are:
- In the region of the nail roller, a pain appears from the problem area of the nail plate.At first it is insignificant, but then it starts to increase, especially when walking and wearing shoes.
- In the place where the nail began to grow, there is a small sore - this is due to injury to the skin of the nail.
- The roller swells up, becomes red, a throbbing pain appears - this means that the infection has joined and pus is formed at the site of ingrowth of the nail.
- On the toe of the ingrown nail, the nail roller grows, it becomes granulated, it has the color of raw meat.
Note: , if the process is started, has been going on for a long time and there is no medical assistance, then the nail changes irreversibly, deforms, thickens and shortens, and soft tissues become coarse.
Treatment of ingrown nails with conservative methods
Please note that the treatment of ingrown nails with conservative methods will be effective only in the initial stage of development, so it is not worthwhile to delay the visit of the doctor - it will be easier to get rid of the problem. The following methods of conservative treatment of ingrown nails can be used at home:
- Baths with potassium permanganate, baking soda or sea salt .They need to be carried 2-4 times a day, the water should be hot, but not burning, every day you need to alternate solutions - today a bath with manganese, tomorrow - with sea salt and so on.Under the influence of hot water, the skin in the place of ingrown nail is softened, it can be carefully pushed aside( by no means cut!) And remove the nail.After the procedure, the place of nail trimming should be treated with iodine.
- Bint, moistened with Chlorhexidine .It is necessary to make a dense gauze napkin from bandage, moisten it with Chlorhexidine and insert between the nail and the roller, leave until completely dry, then apply the medicine again on the napkin.Every day you need to gradually move the gauze pad, thereby gradually releasing more and more nail plate.As soon as possible, the nail is simply clipped.If you perform this procedure regularly, then the treatment will be very effective.
- Compress .It is necessary to take 10 ml of dimexide and dilute with 20 ml of water, add to the obtained composition 1 ampoule of analgin and 1 ml of dexamethasone.The resulting mixture to wet the gauze napkin, attach to the problem site, top we put polyethylene and bandage the finger.Such compresses should be done at night, for 3-4 consecutive days.If through this time there is no result, then you need to seek the help of a surgeon.
Some recommend to make a vertical groove with the help of a nail file on the problem nail.Over time, this groove will be tightened, lifting / pulling the ingrown corners.
Note: very often you can find advice in case of pulsating pain and a pronounced inflammatory process in the place of ingrown nail to lower your finger for 10 seconds in very hot water, and make such drops 20-30 times in a row.It is not worth doing this manipulation - firstly, the symptoms indicate the development of a purulent inflammatory process, secondly, one can get burned( additional problems), and thirdly, an ingrown nail will not cease to be so.
In order to treat the problem in question it was successful and did not take much time, it is necessary to observe some rules during the therapy:
- shoes should be worn free;
- regularly conduct hygiene of the feet;
- socks must be changed at least 2 times a day;
- nails need to be cut properly.
Drug therapy with ingrown toenails
If home remedies do not help, then when you go to the doctor, every patient with an ingrown nail will get medication appointments. We list the most common and effective drugs for solving the problem in question.
The product is available in the form of balm, which softens the nail plate, reduces the intensity of pain, eliminates the inflammatory process.
How to use: steam up the legs to such a state that the nail corners appear from beneath the nail rollers.Then this balm is applied to both the platen and the nail plate, two procedures are necessary per day.
The main active substance of this product is urea - it softens the tissues and the nail itself, which greatly facilitates the circumcision of the problem nail.
How to apply: on the absolutely dry nail is applied the Uroderm cream, and the special spatula should be "refilled" into the space between the nail plate and the roller.After the treatment, wear the socks on your feet and leave it for 1-2 hours.Use Uroderm need 3 days in a row( 2 procedures per day) and then you can cut an ingrown nail.
If the problem of ingrown nail infection, then it will be appropriate to use Vishnevsky ointment.
How to apply: this product is applied to a problem site under the bandage, this "compress" is best done for the whole night.As soon as the nail leaves the roller( this can happen after the first procedure), it must be cut off.
Probably the most popular solution for the ingrown nail problem.Ichthyol ointment destroys bacteria, relieves pain, inflammation and swelling with redness, softens the nail plate.
How to apply: a bandage( closed) with the drug presented is applied overnight.As a rule, in the morning it will be possible to cut off the ingrown nail.
Separately it is worth mentioning braces and special plates - they work on the principle of tooth braces and even remind them externally.Staples and plates are designed to lift the edges of the ingrown nail, release it from under the roller.Such devices are installed on the nail plate only by a doctor, they can be worn around the clock, because they do not cause any discomfort even when wearing shoes.
Surgical treatment of ingrown toenail
If the problem in question is in a failed state, the doctor may prescribe surgical treatment. It is carried out in three ways:
- Removal of ingrown nail. The operation is performed under local anesthesia, most often the doctor removes the entire nail plate.The problem is that after the new nail grows( it takes about 3 months), a relapse may develop.Doctors try to prevent this - they remove part of the platen, so that in the future the nail plate with it does not contact.
- Laser cauterization .If the nail is grown at the level of the cuticle, then the problem can be solved with the help of a laser - this is the most modern technique that provides getting rid of an ingrown nail and minimizing the possibility of relapse.
- Radio wave effect .The most gentle method of treatment of ingrown nails - there are no scars, no relapses.
Please note: if the nail is ingrown into the baby's roller, then immediately seek medical help.The fact that in childhood, the pain threshold is understated, and any methods of getting rid of the problem at home can only aggravate the problem.
First, after surgery for an ingrown nail, the nail roller heals for a very long time.And the entire postoperative period should beware of the introduction of infection - within a month to comply with the rules of foot hygiene, regularly do the washing of the nail roller with any antiseptic( eg, Chlorhexidine).
Secondly, in the first few days after surgery, you need to provide the restless leg with complete rest - the patient must comply with bed rest, even if he is at home, and not in a hospital.
Thirdly, the entire recovery period( 2-3 months - at the discretion of the attending physician) the patient should wear comfortable, wide / loose shoes.
Many people think that an ingrown nail is not something dangerous - it's important to just cut it out in time. In fact, doctors warn of possible complications in the background of the problem under consideration:
- finger gangrene;
- abscess of the finger;
An ingrown nail is not only a cosmetic defect, it is a problem that must be solved quickly, often in tandem with doctors.Otherwise, this condition can lead to serious consequences.
Tsygankova Yana Aleksandrovna, medical reviewer, therapeutist of the highest qualification category