How to help a newborn baby with constipation?
Many parents face the problem of constipation in children. Maybe someone will seem surprising, but often constipation tortures even newborn babies. In order to alleviate the suffering of the crumbs, parents start giving him various laxative medicines. But is it worth it? Not in every case! To avoid mistakes, it is important for parents to obtain exhaustive information about constipation of newborns.
What is considered constipation in a newborn?
Basically, in the first weeks of birth, the baby does not have problems with defecation. Mother's milk has laxative properties, so the baby is constantly emptied. This is normal. The mushy stool of the nursing baby has a yellow color and a pleasant sweet smell.
At the end of the third or fourth week, maternal milk has a laxative effect, so the child often starts to develop constipation. It is important for mom to watch the crumbs to avoid making wrong decisions. If the child does not emptied more than a day, but does not act up and eats with appetite, then there is no constipation. Probably, the baby has a defecation regime. If the baby cries, refusing to eat, and the feces go out with difficulty or do not go out at all, then the child needs help. But with the reasons for the physiological delay of the stool will help to understand the doctor in charge.
Causes of constipation in newborns
Constipation in newborn infants is of several types: organic and functional.
Causes of organic constipation:
- Hirschpung disease. This disease, as a rule, is hereditary and is characterized by the absence of nerve receptors in the lower parts of the walls of the large intestine, which is why there is no correct intestinal peristalsis;
- dolichosigma. With this disease, the elongated sigmoid part of the colon forms a place where the accumulation of stool occurs.
Most often, if the cause of constipation is caused by the diseases in question, then surgical intervention is necessary.
Causes of functional constipation:
- intestinal dysbiosis. The vital activity of microorganisms that are in the intestine stimulates peristalsis. But when there is an imbalance of microorganisms there is a violation of the intestinal microflora, constipation begins;
- malnutrition of the nursing mother. Everything that gets into the body of the mother with food, directly affects the defecation of the crumbs. If during a breast-feeding mother drinks antibiotics, the newborn can develop a dysbacteriosis of the intestine. Some foods that mom uses, for example, rice, white bread, nuts can cause constipation in the infant;
- fast change of a food allowance. Often, the cause of constipation in babies can be a sharp transition from breastfeeding to artificial feeding, as in the case of artificial babies, constipation is more frequent than in children who feed on mother's milk;
- often constipation occurs with insufficient intake of fluids to the baby, as well as with a sudden transition from one to another milk formula.
What should I do if my child suffers constipation?
First of all, parents should follow the general condition of the baby. With a rare delay of the chair, it is really possible to solve this issue independently. If the constipation is regular, then you need to turn to the pediatrician.
The first step in eliminating constipation is changing the mother's diet. She needs to drink a lot of fluids, include a boiled pumpkin, beetroot, and dried apricots in the menu. Exclude the use of rice, white bread.
In addition, with constipation, you do not need to immediately give your child laxative drugs. It is better to gently caress the tummy of the crumbs clockwise, bend its legs, pressing them to the tummy to facilitate the escape of gases. And only in the most extreme case it is possible to make an enema or give a laxative medicine.
Laxative medications for infants
- Prelax. About this medicine pediatricians respond positively, as it has been successfully used for many years in the fight against constipation in children of the first year of life. The composition of this drug includes lactulose, which is considered a natural component, which does not have a negative effect on the children's body and does not cause habituation. In addition, lactulose promotes the formation of beneficial intestinal microflora.
- Glycerin suppositories. These are candles that help young children cope with constipation. In general, the effect can be seen immediately after the introduction of a candle into the anus of the crumbs.
- Microlux. This is a special microclyster with a laxative effect. The drug is suitable for infants, because it contains only natural ingredients. After using microclysters, the stool softens and defecation occurs.
It is important for all parents to remember that permanent constipation in a baby can become a sign of congenital pathology. Therefore, if constipation for crumbs is a real problem, then it is worth immediately consulting the doctor.