How to get rid of nasal congestion?
Jun 01, 2018
Many people are used to consider nasal congestion as a sign of a cold and this is partly true.But it is worthwhile to know that this symptom can indicate a variety of pathologies of the respiratory tract.Doctors can name a lot of factors that lead to nasal congestion and not all of them are related to diseases.Nasal congestion can be accompanied by a runny nose( congestion of mucus in the nasal passages and sinuses), but can be dry in nature, that is, there are no secretions from the nasal passages.Table of Contents: Causes of nasal congestion with a runny nose Causes of nasal congestion without a cold( "dry" stuffiness) How to get rid of nasal congestion Treatment of nasal congestion with folk methods
Causes of nasal congestion with runny nose
Most often the cause of the condition under consideration is inflammatory processes,Flowing in the nasal passages and sinuses. In this case, it will be a rhinitis of different etiology:
- Acute rhinitis of the viral etiology.In this case, a large amount of clear and sparse mucus will be released, as when viruses get into the nasal passages and sinuses, irritation occurs.Nasal congestion with acute rhinitis of the viral etiology is always accompanied by reddening and increased dryness of the skin on the wings of the nose and directly above the upper lip.The reason for this is the human factor - the patient constantly wipes out pouring mucus from the nose and friction irritates the skin.
- Rhinitis of a bacterial nature.It never begins suddenly and suddenly, but is a frequent consequence of viral rhinitis.With bacterial rhinitis, nasal congestion becomes more intense, and yellow or greenish mucus is secreted from the nasal passages.Even constant blowing does not bring relief.
- Inflammatory processes in the sinuses of the nose.They are commonly referred to as "sinusitis," characterized not only by nasal congestion, but also by headaches in the forehead and temples, by fever, by the absence of smell and by the release of a large amount of purulent mucus.
- Fungal infection.Nasal congestion will be a reaction to the defeat of nasal mucosa by fungal colonies.With this pathological process, it is characteristic that mucus is isolated with white veins, the formation of small ulcers inside the nasal passages and their soreness.
In addition, nasal congestion is accompanied by a runny nose in the case of allergic rhinitis - by the way, it is the allergy most often( according to statistics) and is the cause of the condition under consideration. And, the stuffiness of a nose of an allergic origin can be of two kinds:
- seasonal - is more often diagnosed in people with an allergy to pollen of plants, certain kinds of trees, accompanied by plentiful lacrimation, eye swelling;
- year-round - the cause of this stuffiness can become perfumes, food, animal biomaterials and other allergens that do not have seasonal appearance.
Nasal congestion accompanied by a runny nose can provoke and vasomotor rhinitis .This disease is caused by violations of vegetative-vascular nature.
Causes of nasal congestion without a cold( "dry" stuffiness)
If a person has a stuffy nose and a runny nose is absent, then this can be the following reasons:
- Problems with the nasal septum, namely its curvature.In this case, one of the nasal passages becomes too narrow and can no longer pass a sufficient volume of air, so the second nasal passage begins to function in a strengthened mode.The result of this "redistribution of the load" will be edema and proliferation of the mucosa in the normal nasal passage and partial or complete nasal congestion.
- Spreading of lymph nodes located in the nasal cavity( adenoids).This problem usually occurs in childhood.Doctors may suggest surgical removal of the overgrown tissue, but this may not solve the problem - too often recurrences of pathology are fixed.Usually with age, the problem disappears on its own.Benign formations on the nasal mucosa.
- .Such formations are called polyps and arise, most often, against the background of chronic inflammatory diseases of the nasal cavity.
In addition, nasal congestion of the "dry" type can develop and with pathologies of the soft palate.
Separately it is worth mentioning that the condition under consideration can provoke and various tumors:
- sarcoma of the nasal cavity;
- osteoma( benign tumor of bone tissue);
- hemangioma / lymphangioma / angiofibroma - neoplasms developing in the vascular system of the nasal cavity;
- adenocarcinoma is a cancer of the glandular tissue;
- squamous cell carcinoma.
How to get rid of nasal congestion
If the condition in question is ignored, then there may be various complications - nevertheless, nasal congestion is not the norm for the body. In the early days of the onset of this symptom, the following can be done:
- Humidify indoor air.Often people suffer from nasal congestion due to inhalation of too dry air, but this can be corrected.It is enough 2-3 times a day to carry out a wet cleaning in the room( to wipe the floors with a damp rag), hang wet towels on furniture or window sills, buy and periodically turn on a special air humidifier and the problem of excessively dry air will disappear.
- Use vasoconstrictor drops in the nose. Immediately warned - this is a temporary measure, it is not worth hoping to get rid of the stuffiness of the nose with the help of vasoconstrictors, and it is allowed to apply them for no more than 5 consecutive days .Such medicines include Otrivin, Nazivin, Mezaton, Naphthysine, Phenylephrine and others.
Please note: is strictly prohibited from using drops in the nose with vasoconstrictor effect to people with diagnosed glaucoma, thyroid disorders, persistently high blood pressure and children under 1 year of age.
- If you know for sure that the nasal congestion is caused by an allergic reaction, then you will need to use antihistamines.But you need to do this only after a visit to the doctor - it is the specialist who can not only find out the true cause of the condition in question, but also choose effective medications.Most often, Levokabastin, Desloratadine, Claristin, Nasobek, Kromogeksal and many others save from the stuffiness of the nose.
It is highly desirable for nasal congestion to seek medical advice.After all, this symptom may indicate the development of severe pathologies, and their early diagnosis allows you to make favorable predictions.
Treatment of nasal congestion with folk methods
This is probably the most effective procedure that allows you to relieve a person's condition quickly and for a long time.Washing of the nose with the help of sea water is carried out, in the absence of such a solution of sea salt can be used. Before proceeding with the procedure under consideration, it is worthwhile to know some of the features of its implementation:
- Water / solution must be warm - at least 38 degrees Celsius.
- If a sea salt solution is used to rinse the nasal cavity, you can not make it too concentrated, because in this case a mucosal burn may occur.The recipe for preparing a solution of sea salt for washing the nose with a stuffiness is simple: you need to dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt without top in 200 ml of warm water.
- Do not allow the presence of salt crystals in the finished nasal wash solution, as they can cause burns to mucous membranes and worsen a person's condition.Even if some crystals of sea salt did not dissolve in water, it is necessary to strain the solution and only then use it.
- It is strictly forbidden to draw water when flushing with the nose - it should flow absolutely freely through the nasal passages and cavities and also be poured out through the second nostril by gravity.
By the way, the sea salt solution can be used not only for the procedure of washing the nose.From the stuffiness of the nose will help get rid and lotions - gauze, folded in 2-4 layers, you need to moisten in a strong salt solution( a glass of water 2 tablespoons), squeeze and attach to the nose, grabbing the area around it.Such an application should be on the face for at least 15 minutes, and a person at this time should breathe deeply nose( at least, try to do it).
Tougal oil from nasal congestion
Touevoy oil has a mass of useful properties - antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, decongestant.It is this remedy that strengthens the immune system and restores the mucous membrane of the nasal passages and cavities.
Tui oil must be digested in the nasal passages - 2 drops in each of them, but only after the procedure of washing the nose with sea water.The course of treatment of nasal congestion with tuya oil is 2 weeks, then you need to take a break in 1 month and, if necessary, repeat the therapy.
It should be taken into account that tuyevo oil is considered to be ethereal and can cause the strongest allergic reaction, so its use for medicinal purposes should get permission from a doctor.
Kalanchoe against nasal congestion
This plant is very popular precisely when getting rid of nasal congestion and is used not only by adults, but also by children.From the leaves of the Kalanchoe it is necessary to "extract" the juice and dig in 2 drops in each nasal passage 2-3 times a day.Pure juice can not be buried in the nose - this can cause severe irritation of the nasal mucosa.It is recommended to dilute this product with clean water in a 1: 1 ratio.
You can not use this folk remedy for more than 5 days.It is strictly forbidden to use this remedy to get rid of nasal congestion in the case of existing mucous secretions of green or yellow color and at an elevated body temperature .
It is necessary to prepare a medicine from 1 teaspoon of onion juice( the onion head is finely chopped and squeezed through gauze), the same amount of water and 1/3 of a teaspoon of liquid honey.All the ingredients are thoroughly mixed and stored in a dark, cool place.
Use this product 2-3 times a day, instilling 1( one!) Drop into each nasal passage.
Nasal congestion using all of the above means should disappear in just 2-4 days.If there is no relief, there are some additional symptoms, then this is an unconditional reason for seeking qualified medical care.
Konev Alexander, internist