Benefits and harm of spirulina
Spirulina is an alga that grows in the waters of the seas and lakes.This plant has not changed for its millionth existence history, because it has a unique composition - spirulina can exist, in principle, under any environmental conditions.For the first time this product began to be consumed by the Aztecs - this people is generally considered a "pioneer" in the use of curious and not quite ordinary dishes, for example, they introduced the seeds of chia into the diet.
Spirulina research began only about 30 years ago, and it was found that although this product is called algae, it is not a living thing.
chemical composition and nutritional value of spirulina
Nutritional value of 100 g:
- Calories: 290 kcal
- 57.47 g Fat: 7.72 g
- Carbohydrate: 20.3 g
Show the full list »
- Dietary fiber: 3.6 g
- Ash: 6.23 g
- Water: 4.68 grams
- mono- and di-saccharides: 3.1 g
- saturated fatty acids: 2, 65 g
- Beta-carotene: 0.342 mg
- Vitamin A( RE): 29 μg
- Vitamin B1( thiamin): 2.38 mg
- Vitamin B2( riboflavin) 3.67 mg
- Vitamin B3( pantothenic): 3.48 mg
- Vitamin B6( pyridoxine): 0.364 mg
- Vitamin B9( folic): 94. mu.g
- Vitamin C: 10,1 mg
- Vitamin E( FE): 5 mg
- Vitamin K( phylloquinone): 25.5 g
- Vitamin PP( niacin equivalent): 12.82
- mg Choline 66 mg
- Calcium: 120 mg
- Magnesium: 195 mg Sodium
- mg Potassium 1363 mg
- Phosphorus: 118 mg
- 28.5 mg Zinc 2 mg
- Copper: 6100 mcg
- Manganese: 1.9 mg
- Selenium 7.2 mcg
Spirulina recognized leader in plant food content vitaminsFrom group B, iron and dietary protein.
Note: spirulina is the only natural source of the phytocyanin antioxidant.
For 100 g of spirulina it is necessary almost 300 Kcal - many immediately ask themselves, what kind of diet can there be for this caloric content of the product?But spirulina is taken only 1, maximum 2, a tablespoon per day - you can not worry about the calories you get.
Useful properties of spirulina
Modern medicine is considered the most effective product with a rejuvenating effect.Moreover, the product is absolutely natural, it does not have chemical compounds in its composition.It is not surprising that spirulina extract is actively used in the cosmetic industry - creams, gels, masks that provide a nutritious and rejuvenating effect are produced on its basis.
General useful properties of spirulina :
- Cleans the blood of toxins, strengthens the immune system - this is due to the presence of chlorophyll in the composition of the product in question.
- Stimulates the regenerative properties of cells - this fact is actively used in cosmetology and in the treatment of burns, wounds and ulcers of the skin and mucous membranes.
- Helps to get rid of allergies to pollen - this kind of allergy torments millions of people in certain periods of the warm season.
- Participates in regulatory processes related to arterial pressure.
- Reduces the level of "harmful" cholesterol.
- Prevents the development of malignant tumors - spirulina is able to prevent the development of cancer cells.
- Accelerates metabolism, normalizes all metabolic processes in the body.
- Improves memory, increases concentration, has a beneficial effect on cerebral circulation, provides a normal and stable supply of oxygen to the brain.
- Improves the digestive system - eliminates stools( constipation / diarrhea), heartburn and unmotivated eructations.With regular use cleanses the intestines, stabilizes the work of peristalsis.
Separately it is worth mentioning the ability of the product in question to stabilize the sexual system of both women and men.Especially useful to use spirulina people over the age of 50 - a man that will help to prolong the ability to sexual life, and a woman will facilitate the climacteric period.
Many believe that spirulina helps to lose weight - it's only partly true.The fact is that spirulina only stabilizes metabolic processes, which in itself will improve the process of fat burning.But rely solely on spirulina in the case of weight loss is impossible - it is necessary to adhere to diet, and engage in physical education.
Harmful spirulina and contraindications for use
This product is considered absolutely safe and authorized for use by absolutely all people.And what about it scientists and doctors think? Answers are too clear :
- It is necessary to carefully study the product during the acquisition and first of all pay attention to the manufacturer.The fact that there are recorded cases of the presence in the spirulina of deposits of toxic substances, heavy metals and this leads to a bad ecological situation in the place of growth / growth of algae.Therefore, experts do not recommend buying and using spirulina produced in China - the ecological situation in this country is simply terrible.
- Spirulina significantly increases immunity, which can provoke an increase in symptoms of multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus erythematosus and other autoimmune diseases.If it is planned to introduce the product into the diet for people with listed diagnoses, it is worthwhile to get advice from the attending physician and closely monitor the patient's health.
- This product should not be used concomitantly with ginger, ginseng, turmeric and garlic.The fact is that these products reduce the coagulability of the blood, spirulina also acts as a blood thinning remedy - the effect of the simultaneous use of all listed products can be dangerous to health.By the way, that's why spirulina should not be used simultaneously with anticoagulants.
- No studies on the effect of the product in question on the body of pregnant and lactating women have been conducted, therefore, experts recommend to refuse the introduction of spirulina in the menu during these periods of life.
Spirulina tablets are on sale now - they are advertised as a biological supplement that helps to lose weight or recover, restore health.Specialists also warn that you need to know exactly in what doses and at what time you can use spirulina in tablets - this will determine the result.
Remember: if the goal is to gain weight, then you need to drink 1 tablet three times a day after eating.If the task is to lose weight, then in the same dosage, the product should be consumed 30 minutes before meals - the appetite will decrease.The course of taking spirulina tablets should not exceed 3 months, then you need to take a break in 30 days.
Spirulina is an interesting, useful and unique product.Doctors and scientists recommend using it daily in small doses - in this case the expected result will be provided.Just do not forget about the possible contraindications to the use of spirulina - it can both help and harm.